What Type of Insurance Should you Have for your Condo?

Type of Insurance Should you Have for your Condo

When it comes to protecting your condominium unit, insurance is a crucial aspect that cannot be overlooked. What type of insurance do you need if you dwell within your condo? What coverage is necessary if your condo is an investment property with tenants present? What, if any, insurance does the Condo Corporation provide and is this sufficient? Following is information to help you make an informed decision about the type of insurance coverage that best suits your needs.

Master Policy
(sometimes called the condo policy)

Since condominiums have shared spaces and common areas, the condominium association typically holds a master insurance policy. This insurance is paid for with a portion of your condo fees. The master policy covers the building’s structure, common areas, and liability for the association. It’s essential to review the master policy to understand what it covers and what gaps may exist in terms of coverage for your individual unit. Be aware that, in Alberta, Condo Boards are allowed to charge up to $75,000 of the condo boards deductible back to a unit owner if an insurance claim originated in their unit. This makes it imperative that unit owners carry a policy of their own, one that allows will protect them from these high chargebacks. Ask your Condo Board about the deductible in their insurance policy and about what common elements could be exposed to a loss and a subsequent loss assessment.


Homeowner Policy

A homeowner policy is the best choice if you live in a condo that you own. It typically includes coverage for the interior structure of the unit, personal belongings, and protection against the possible $75,000 discussed above. It covers damages to fixtures, appliances, and upgrades made within the unit. The personal property coverage of a homeowner’s policy protects your belongings, such as furniture, clothing, and electronics, in the event of perils like fire, theft, or water damage. Liability protection in homeowner insurance covers you if someone is injured in your unit and you’re found responsible for their injuries. If you can’t live in your unit due to an insurance claim, a homeowner policy often covers living expenses (cost of alternative living arrangements and meals). 

Landlord Policy

Landlord insurance is specifically designed to protect property owners who rent their residential or commercial properties to tenants. It’s the best policy for those who rent their condo to others. In a condo it covers damages to fixtures, appliances, and upgrades made within the unit (the condo master policy covers the main structure). It also offers protection against liabilities, safeguarding you in the event a tenant or visitor sustains an injury on the property. One of the significant advantages of landlord insurance is the inclusion of loss of income protection. If your rental property becomes uninhabitable due to a covered event, such as fire or storm damage, and your tenants are unable to occupy the premises, this coverage reimburses you for the lost rental income during the necessary repairs. If you’re undertaking traditional long-term rental, consider purchasing a landlord policy that is similar to the type of policy you would have if you occupied the unit. If you’re engaging in short-term rental (vacationing tourists, business travelers, etc.) a standard landlord insurance policy is not always appropriate. It’s recommended that, as the condo owner, you explore business insurance options.


Renter’s Insurance

If you rent your condo to others, it’s wise to recommend that your tenants purchase a renter’s policy. Renter’s insurance is designed for individuals who rent their living space. Tenants don’t require coverage for the physical structure of their dwelling but they do require protection for their personal belongings. Renters insurance covers personal property against theft, water damage, fire, and sometimes other perils. It includes liability coverage in case someone is injured while on the property.

Choosing the right coverage

To determine whether you need landlord insurance or homeowner insurance, consider your specific situation. If you own a rental property and have tenants occupying the premises, landlord insurance is typically the appropriate choice. It provides coverage for the structure, loss of rental income, and liability protection for potential tenant-related incidents. If you own a condominium unit and reside within, homeowner’s insurance is tailored to protect your unit, personal belongings, and liability exposure.

Without the right insurance, you’re vulnerable. The insurance provided through a Condo Corporation is not the only insurance a condo owner requires. Landlord insurance and homeowner insurance serve distinct purposes in protecting your property investment or condominium unit. Consulting with an insurance professional is always a wise decision, ensuring you have the right coverage based on your unique needs and circumstances. They can help you understand the specific requirements of your property and guide you in selecting the most appropriate insurance policy.


Do you own a condo unit(s) that you rent to tenants for income?  GIL Property Management & Sales Ltd. is a trusted residential property management partner. We pay attention to details, ensuring the success of your rental property(s). GIL allows you to decide how much assistance you desire by offering two levels of service packages. This means you get the assistance that meets your individual needs. We provide exceptional service to rental property owners! Contact us today!